Announced in May 2018, the Bombardier Global 5500 is a long range jet that is an upgrade to the Global 5000 (GL5T) model / variant. The aircraft had its first flight in July 2018 and entered service in summer of 2020. Some improvements found on the 5500 include a new engines, redesigned wing, longer range, updated avionics and more.
The 5500 along with the 6500 also received AIN’s Top Flight Award, in the “New Jet” category for 2020. This award recognizes some of the best, innovative and creative new aircraft during the fiscal year. (1,2)
With leading-edge wing technology, the Global 5500 is powered by dual Rolls-Royce Pearl engines. Each with approximately 15,125 lbs force of thrust (67.3 kN). This helps contribute to a maximum range of 5,900 nautical miles, with 8 passengers and 3 crew. Overall, this aircraft can seat up to 16 passengers, in a standard configuration.
The maximum cruise (or top speed) that can be achieved with this aircraft is approximately Mach 0.90. It also has a high-speed cruise of Mach 0.88 and a maximum operating altitude of around 51,000 ft. Also, the maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) is approximately 92,500 lbs, while its maximum landing weight (MLW) is around 78,600 lbs. (3)
While being one of the smaller aircraft models in Bombardier’s lineup, the 5500 has three living areas and one of the widest cabins in its class. The cabin itself measures approximately; 6 ft 2″ in height, 7 ft 11″ in width and 40 ft 9″ in length, excluding baggage compartment. You will also notice that the cabin features 25 windows to help provide natural and abundant lighting.
As we transition to the cockpit, you will identify the Bombardier Vision Flight Deck. This features 4 large LCD displays, MultiScan weather radar, a Head-Up Display (HUD), Combined Vision System (CVS), ADS-B in and much more. (4)
- Bombardier uses an air filtration system called Pũr Air, which features an advanced HEPA filter. This filter aids in removing up to 99.99% of allergens and bacteria within the cabin. It then replaces that with fresh air throughout the aircraft.
- As per the manufacturer. The Bombardier Vision Flight Deck is the first system available in the cockpit to overlay infrared and synthetic terrain imagery for “true combined vision”.
- The baggage compartment found on the 5500 is accessible in flight.
*These are general specifications of the above mentioned aircraft. Please see each listing for details on their individual specifications, layout and performance.
1. Aviation Week Network, Aircraft Overviews, retrieved from: https://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/aircraft-overview/bombardier-global-5500
2. Kate Sarsfield, FlightGlobal, Business Aviation: Bombardier delivers first Global 5500, retrieved from: https://www.flightglobal.com/business-aviation/bombardier-delivers-first-global-5500/139019.article
3. Bombardier Aviation, Global 5500 – Uniquely Global, retrieved from: https://businessaircraft.bombardier.com/en/aircraft/global-5500
4. Bombardier Aviation, Fact Sheet, retrieved from: https://businessaircraft.bombardier.com/sites/default/files/2021-04/Global_5500_Fact%20Sheet_EN.pdf
5. Matt Thurber, Aviation International News, AIN Top Flight Award Winners Unveiled, retrieved from: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2021-01-04/ain-top-flight-award-winners-unveiled