The Embraer Phenom 100 (EMB-500) is a very light jet that was first announced at the 2005 NBAA Convention in May. Deliveries began in December of 2008 and as of 2014 had sold more than 300 units of the aircraft.
Since the release of the Phenom 100, Embraer has introduced two more variants with the 100E and the 100EV. These variants included the addition of multifunction spoilers on the 100E. Plus, upgrades to the interior, avionics and cruise speed. (1)
The Phenom 100 is known by Embraer to be the first from scratch business jet in their lineup. It is powered by two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW617F-E engines, with approx. 1,615 lbs force of thrust. This aircraft can seat anywhere between 4-7 passengers including pilot and crew. With 4 occupants on board, this aircraft is capable of traveling up to approximately 1,160 nautical miles (IFR), or 1,320 nautical miles (VFR).
The maximum take off weight (MTOW) for the EMB-500 is approx. 10,472 lbs, while its maximum landing weight (MLW) is around 9,766 lbs. The maximum cruise speed on this aircraft is approximately Mach 0.57, although its maximum Mach (MMO) is at Mach 0.70. Also, its service ceiling is near 41,000 ft. (2)
With an oval shaped fuselage. The cabin volume is also approximately 282 ft³. It also measures 4 ft 11″ in height, 5 ft 1″ in width and 11 ft in length. The baggage compartment on this aircraft, is located in the rear (45 ft³), front (5 ft³) and internally in the lavatory (5 ft³). All three combine for a total of 55 ft³.
While being single pilot certified. The avionics found on the 100 is The Prodigy flight deck inspired version of the Garmin G1000 avionics suite. The all-glass cockpit features three 12-in LCD displays, for increased overall safety and situational awareness. (3)
Phenom 100E / 100EV
When Embraer introduced the 100E to the market in 2014. It offered upgrades such as multifunction spoilers, a new passenger seat, new lavatory door as well as an updated interior design. The addition of the multifunction spoilers, is said to help the aircraft become more manageable as it descents.
As for the 100EV which was first delivered in 2017. Embraer improved upon aspects such as the engine performance, top speed (now approximately Mach 0.61) and avionics to name a few. The improved engines help the aircraft to achieve its top speed. It also helps to reduce takeoff distance. The avionics suite that you will find included with the 100EV. Is The Prodigy Touch version of the Garmin G3000 all-glass flight deck. (4)
- The cabin on this aircraft is bigger than the Citation Mustang and very similar in size to the Citation CJ1+.
- The Phenom 100 has technology called break-by-wire. When you press on the pedals. It sends an electrical signal to the valves outside of the cockpit, that meter hydraulic pressure to the brakes.
*These are general specifications of the above mentioned aircraft. Please see each listing for details on their individual specifications, layout and performance.
- Charlie Bravo Aviation, History of the Phenom 100, retrieved from: https://blog.wepushtin.com/blog/history-phenom-100
- Robert Goyer, Phenom 100, retrieved from: https://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/jets/phenom-100
- Embraer Aerospace Company, Brochure, retrieved from: https://executive-charter-flights.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/phenom-100-brochure.pdf
- Embraer Aerospace Company, EV Brochure, retrieved from: https://daflwcl3bnxyt.cloudfront.net/m/3a842ea7b98838a4/original/Phenom-100EV-eletronic.pdf
- J. Mac McClellan, Flying Magazine, retrieved from: https://www.flyingmag.com/pilot-reports/jets/embraer-phenom-100
- AOPA Pilot, AOPA, Phenom Update, retrieved from: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2014/november/pilot/t_phenom