The HondaJet received its provisional type certificate in March of 2015 and began deliveries later on that year. As per the manufacturer and the GAMA 2020 year end shipment report. The HondaJet has delivered the most aircraft in its class worldwide, for 4 consecutive years. With 31 very light jet’s sold in 2020. (1)
In 2016, the aircraft was one of Flying Magazine’s, “Flying Editor’s Choice Award” winners. While in 2017, it was the winner of the inaugural Flying Innovation Award. Which was received at EAA’s AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
Also, as 2018 approached. Honda introduced the “Elite” variant. This upgraded model included improvements to the range, avionics and more.
An interesting feature found on this aircraft is the placement of the engines. Powered by twin General Electric Honda / HF120 engines, with approximately 2,050 lbs force of thrust each. You will notice the engines are located above the wings. This is a design feature by the manufacturer which is called, “over the wing engine mount” (OTWEM). What this design feature allows for. Is a reduction of noise in the cabin, as well as increased fuselage space.
The HA-420 is capable of seating up to 6 passengers including pilot and crew. With 4 passengers, this aircraft is able to travel up to 1,223 nautical miles. Its maximum cruise speed is Mach 0.63 at a cruise altitude of 30,000 ft. Overall, this aircraft can reach a maximum cruise altitude of 43,000 ft.
Also, the maximum takeoff distance with this aircraft is approximately 3,934 ft. While its maximum landing distance is around 3,047 ft. (2)
The OTWEM design has enabled this aircraft’s baggage capacity and cabin to be the largest in its class or category. The internal cabin dimensions on the HondaJet, Elite & Elite S measure approximately; 4 ft 9″ in height, 5 ft in width and 17 ft 9″ in length. (3)
The baggage compartment in the nose is 9 ft³, while the compartment in the aft is 57 ft³. That comes to a total of approximately 66 ft³ of external storage capacity.
When we approach the flight deck, the HondaJet uses the Garmin G3000 next gen all-glass avionic suite. It features dual touch screen controllers, accompanied by three 14 inch high resolution LCD displays. Excellent for improving flight planning, navigation and control of the aircraft.
- Sometime in late February 2022. The Honda Aircraft Company announced that in 2021. The HondaJet was the most delivered aircraft in his class, for the 5th consecutive year. As per the General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA) report. The aircraft was delivered to approximately 37 customers worldwide. (4)
- The HA-420 is certified for single pilot operation.
- The Elite & Elite S variants have made improvements to the range, maximum take off weight (MTOW), maximum landing weight (MLW), avionics and more.
*These are general specifications of the above mentioned aircraft. Please see each listing for details on their individual specifications, layout and performance.
- Alyssa J. Miller, AOPA Foundation, retrieved from: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2015/march/27/hondajet-gets-provisional-type-certificate
- Honda Aircraft Company, retrieved from: https://www.hondajet.com/en/Products/HondaJet
- AviationPros, retrieved from: https://www.aviationpros.com/aircraft/business-general-aviation/press-release/12409095/central-europes-first-hondajet-available-for-private-charter-lands-in-warsaw
- Skies (MHM Publishing Inc.), HondaJet most delivered aircraft in its class for 5th consecutive year, retrieved from: https://skiesmag.com/press-releases/hondajet-most-delivered-aircraft-in-its-class-for-5th-consecutive-year
- Honda Aircraft Company, retrieved from: https://www.hondajet.com/en/News/The-HondaJet-is-the-Most-Delivered-Aircraft-in-its-Class-for-the-Fourth-Consecutive-Year
- Pia Bergqvist, Flying Magazine, retrieved from: https://www.flyingmag.com/we-fly-hondajet-elite