The Gulfstream G280 is a super mid-size jet, which was manufactured in conjunction with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI). It is an upgrade to the G200 (IAI Galaxy) and was originally called the G250 before being renamed to the G280 sometime in 2011.
Announced at the 2008 NBAA convention in October. The G280 (G250), completed its first flight in December 2009, then began deliveries a few years later in November 2012. The aircraft also received its certification from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) & the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) earlier that year in August. (1, 2)
With 4 passengers and 2 crew, the Gulfstream G280 is capable of traveling a maximum range of up to 3,600 nautical miles. This is achieved at a long-range cruise speed of Mach 0.80. With twin Honeywell HTF7250G turbofans (7,624 lbs force thrust each), the maximum cruise speed that you will find on this aircraft is around Mach 0.84 (Mmo ≈ Mach 0.85).
Carrying the ability to seat up to 10 passengers (sleeps up to 5), the maximum payload on this super mid-size jet is approximately 4,050 lbs. The maximum takeoff weight is near 39,600 lbs, while its landing weight is around 32,700 lbs. (3)
Having up to 2 living areas, the interior in the G280 is approx. 935 ft³ in volume. The cabin dimensions measure approximately; 6 ft 1″ in height, 6 ft 11″ in width and 25 ft 10″ in length, excluding the baggage compartment. That being said, the external baggage compartment is approximately 120 ft³ in volume (internal 34 ft³). Also, featuring a panoramic design. There are 19 windows that can be identified throughout the cabin.
Being initially installed with the PlaneView250, the avionics suite that you will find on this aircraft is the Gulfstream PlaneView280. This utilizes the Rockwell Collins Pro Line Fusion Integrated Avionics System. It includes three 15-in high resolution LCD displays, MultiScan weather radar, Dual flight management system, Head-up guidance system (HGS) and more. (4)
- This aircraft is one of the first to be equipped with an auto braking system which improves passenger safety and comfort while traveling.
- It also features Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Out. Which helps to deliver aeronautical & real time traffic data directly to the cockpit / flight deck.
- This business jet was meant to compete with other aircraft in its class such as; the Bombardier Challenger 350, Hawker 4000, Cessna Citation Sovereign & the Dassault Falcon 2000S.
- As per an October 12th 2021 press release. Gulfstream announced avionics upgrades to the G280 Plainview cockpit system. Along with this upgrade. The company also added a new feature known as the “plasma ionization clean air system”, which can be located within the cabin. (5)
- In the first quarter of 2022, Gulfstream introduced additional upgrades. These include new LED exterior lights, as well as a lower cabin altitude.
*These are general specifications of the above mentioned aircraft. Please see each listing for details on their individual specifications, layout and performance.
- Conklin & de Decker Associates, retrieved from: https://conklindedecker.jetsupport.com/details/Gulfstream%20G280
- Chad Trautvetter, Aviation International News – AIN Online, Business Aviation – Gulfstream Begins G280 Deliveries, retrieved from: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2012-11-15/gulfstream-begins-g280-deliveries
- Gulfstream Aerospace, G280, retrieved from: https://www.gulfstream.com/en/aircraft/gulfstream-g280
- Collins Aerospace, Gulfstream, retrieved from: https://www.collinsaerospace.com/what-we-do/Business-Aviation/Flight-Deck/Pro-Line-Fusion/Gulfstream-G280-With-Pro-Line-Fusion-And-HGS
- Izzy Kington, Business Jet Interiors International, New features for Gulfstream G280, retrieved from: https://www.businessjetinteriorsinternational.com/news/airframes/new-features-for-gulfstream-g280-2.html
- Woodrow Bellamy III, Aviation Today, Gulfstream Brings Avionics Upgrades to G280, retrieved from: https://www.aviationtoday.com/2021/10/14/gulfstream-brings-avionics-upgrades-g280
- Gulfstream Aerospace, G280 Spec Sheet, retrieved from: https://www.gulfstream.com/assets/docs/en/aircraft/g280/g280_spec_sheet_english_web_v02.pdf